Monday, June 4, 2012

Kyrgyzstan Visa on Arrival: What Happened When I Landed in Bishkek

Since my last post, I got a message asking about visa procedures for entering Kyrgyzstan. I’m glad somebody asked, because I went through plenty of needless uncertainty on my trip as well.

Here’s the bottom line: If you're a citizen of the United States or most of Western Europe, you can purchase a visa on arrival at Manas Airport. You don’t need to visit the consulate ahead of time.

The Airport Drama

My last visit to Bishkek was in November, transiting through Istanbul on Turkish Airlines. While boarding the flight, a representative checked passports and visas.

Since another American and I hadn't pre-purchased visas at a consulate, the representative looked shocked and worried we wouldn't be allowed into the country. After trying to explain that we planned to buy our visas at Manas, she made a quick phone call. Following some back-and-forth, she finally let us board.

Needless to say, this made me a bit nervous. Kyrgyz immigration agents don’t have the most stellar reputation for honesty, and I worried they might try to exploit the situation.

Smooth Sailing at Manas

Fortunately, I was stressing over nothing. The immigration procedure itself was surprisingly smooth.

I walked up to the visa desk, handed over my passport, and received a short form to fill out. Once finished, the official barely glanced at it—she didn't even seem to care what I had written.

I paid the fee in US dollars and moved on to the main immigration officer. He was a bit theatrical, holding my passport photo right next to my face for a dramatic comparison. After a solid 45 seconds of staring, he stamped my passport.

After picking up my baggage, customs agents randomly selected one bag for the X-ray machine. They didn't bother searching it, and I was officially on my way. Let the vacation begin!

Official State Department Guidelines

Here is the exact language regarding tourist visas for Kyrgyzstan, according to the U.S. State Department (remember to check current updates directly with the source):

“ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: A passport and a visa are required. U.S. citizens can obtain a one-month single-entry, non-extendable tourist visa upon arrival at the Manas International Airport outside Bishkek for a fee of $80 without invitation or sponsorship. If purchasing a visa at the airport, at least one blank passport page is required. Travelers cannot obtain tourist visas at land borders or regional airports.”

— U.S. State Department

No comments:

Post a Comment