We’ve all seen movies featuring an eerie, post-apocalyptic Times Square.
Whether it's Will Smith hunting deer in I Am Legend or Tom Cruise sprinting through a deserted plaza in Vanilla Sky, Hollywood loves to empty out the "Crossroads of the World" after a natural disaster or zombie outbreak.
In real life, though? It’s never truly empty.
I used to work nearby and walked through Times Square every single night on my commute home. Leaving late was routine, but the area was always reliable for a late-night fix.
No matter how late it got, you could count on Starbucks, McDonald’s, or a 24-hour gourmet deli for a quick bite.
These days, I don't work in the neighborhood anymore, and I try to avoid Times Square whenever possible.
Gawking tourists are easily the most frustrating part. They stand completely frozen in the middle of a packed sidewalk, holding up cameras or smartphones, while native New Yorkers desperately try to weave around them to make their next meeting on time.
Last week, though, I found myself back in Times Square for the first time in ages.
I’d spent the night barhopping across Manhattan—starting with craft cocktails in the East Village and eventually ending up at a karaoke spot in K-Town. By the time 4:00 AM struck, I needed a dose of cool night air to revive myself.
I walked up to Times Square, knowing the 24-hour Starbucks would have a fresh, piping-hot cup of Pike Place coffee waiting for me.
With my coffee in hand, I grabbed a seat in the pedestrian plaza around 5:15 AM.
Mayor Bloomberg’s decision a few years ago to block off Broadway traffic and put out lawn chairs felt controversial at first, but at 5:00 in the morning, it's absolute genius.
While the plaza wasn't completely deserted, it was serenely, beautifully quiet. A true 5:00 AM motley crew filled the metal folding chairs around me: local homeless resting, late-night partygoers sobering up before taking the subway home, early-bird tourists taking advantage of the quiet, and the first corporate warriors grabbing coffee before starting their day.
The towering neon billboards flickered above us, shining brightly for almost no audience at all.
It was at that exact moment I decided to stand up, pull out my camera, and film a complete 360-degree sweep of the entire square.
I hope you enjoy the video! If you’re ever visiting New York City, skip the midday rush at least once and visit Times Square during the off-hours.
Sitting in the middle of Manhattan during that quiet pre-dawn hush is a completely euphoric feeling.

No comments:
Post a Comment