Traveling to Eastern Europe last month, I got an immediate burst of Old World nostalgia from the seatback flight map. It was straight out of 1989—before the fall of the Iron Curtain!
The first thing that jumped out at me was the distinct border encircling West Berlin. Upon closer inspection, I realized East and West Germany were still split down the middle.
The post-Soviet nations of Eastern Europe didn't exist yet on this display. Belarus, Ukraine, and Moldova were all swallowed up inside one massive "Soviet Union" border.
Yugoslavia was still intact, meaning modern nations like Serbia, Kosovo, and North Macedonia were nowhere to be found. Czechoslovakia hadn't experienced its "Velvet Divorce" either—it was still firmly anchored in Moscow's orbit.
It blew my mind that any modern carrier, especially an Eastern European airline, would still be using a map like this. The plane was older, sure, but a map update is a rounding error in an airline's operating budget!
While other passengers were visibly shocked and appalled, I couldn't help but smile.
With the benefit of hindsight, it was incredible to look at that frozen snapshot of history and remember how much things have improved since.
I’ll probably never see a flight map like that again on a commercial flight. But honestly? I wouldn't mind if I did.
Poka!
No comments:
Post a Comment