That question is much more common than I ever would have thought—at least, before I began my journey as a professional jetsetter. Now, I hear it all the time.
Last week, I was on a flight to Frankfurt, flipping through photos of my recent trip to Kyrgyzstan. Out of nowhere, the guy sitting next to me started asking about the country's cost of living.
Believe it or not, that was the very first thing he wanted to know.
I told him that the local cafés and restaurants were incredibly affordable. The entertainment and performances were frequent, top-notch, and exceptionally budget-friendly.
Still, I didn't actually know the true cost of living.
Every time I visit, I stay at the Hyatt Regency Bishkek. It is currently the only hotel in the city considered "safe" by Western corporate standards.
In other words, all entering vehicles are thoroughly swept for explosives, and the round-the-clock security is highly visible.
So, when my seatmate asked if he could live in Bishkek on $1,000 a month, I assumed the answer was yes. However, I had no real data on local apartment rentals.
Then, I stumbled across a great video that explained everything.
It was an episode of House Hunters International featuring a young couple moving to Bishkek for work. They toured three different apartments.
The most expensive option was $500 a month, and it was absolutely beautiful. It quickly became clear that even a modest budget goes a long way in Kyrgyzstan.
Because $500 was over the couple's target budget, they looked at two smaller apartments. They ultimately chose the cheapest option at just $150 a month.
$150 a month! What an incredible deal for a place that was actually quite posh.
Watching that episode left me in shock. A single night's stay at the Hyatt costs enough to cover an entire month's rent in a gorgeous Bishkek apartment.
It is officially confirmed: Kyrgyzstan is absolutely a place where you can live like royalty on less than $1,000 a month.

No comments:
Post a Comment