Sunday, June 10, 2012

I’ve Visited Bishkek 20 Times—Here Is My Favorite Thing About It

Someone just asked me what I enjoy most about traveling to Kyrgyzstan.

That’s a tough question because it’s so open-ended!

But after visiting Bishkek nearly 20 times over the last five years, my answer is clear:

I love the parks. 🌳

It might sound random, but Bishkek’s parks are unlike anywhere else I’ve been.

First, the trees are massive. They’re easily a century old and tower over everything, keeping the city cool on hot summer days.

Second, the life in them is incredible. In many US parks, you mostly see empty lawns. Bishkek’s parks are bursting with energy! You see kids playing, couples walking hand-in-hand, and grandparents sharing ice cream.

Even though they haven’t been fully maintained since Soviet times, that’s part of their rustic charm. Fountains leak and monuments crumble, but people are always smiling.

Between the fresh air, bird song, and happy energy, they are the ultimate city refuge. ✨


No comments:

Post a Comment