Thursday, January 7, 2016

Stop Giving Away Free Content: Why I’m Moving Back to Blogger

Hey guys, happy 2016!

A new year means new resolutions, and one of mine directly relates to this blog and my YouTube channel. Now, I know what you might be thinking: Blogger? Really? I know blogger.com is pretty much laughed at by "pro" bloggers, but hear me out before you start laughing.

I love Blogger. It’s free real estate, super easy to use, and seamlessly integrated with the rest of Google's ecosystem. So, without further ado, here is my resolution: Use Blogger more!

Here’s why. I have a Facebook page linked to my Jonathan Browne Menzies YouTube channel where I post new videos and channel updates. While Facebook is a great free platform, there’s no direct way to monetize the content you post there. Whenever you post on Facebook, you're essentially adding cash to Mark Zuckerberg's bank account by handing over free content for them to monetize, not you.

Don't get me wrong—I’m not deleting my Facebook account anytime soon; it's still a useful tool. But I work hard on my creative endeavors. From writing and video production to artwork design, I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Even if my Blogger page doesn't get massive traffic yet, it allows me to monetize my work. Sure, affiliates like Zazzle take a cut, but by sharing that revenue, it gives me a strong incentive to host my core content right here.

So expect to see a lot more activity on this dusty old Blogger page soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment