Saturday, July 12, 2014

From Lagos to Vladivostok: Building a Preppy Brand from Scratch

I'm certainly no fashion designer, but I've always admired their collective sense of creativity and freedom. On a whim, they can take a sudden epiphany and transform it into a reality—morphing an abstract concept into a photogenic look strutting down the catwalk.

Truthfully, the nitty-gritty of choosing fabrics, selecting patterns, and debating cuts bores me. It's the branding and cachet that certain labels manage to acquire that I find fascinating.

Only a small minority of shoppers actually follow high-fashion runway trends. The average consumer won't rush out to buy a designer's latest seasonal collection.

In reality, most of us are simply looking for a subtle nod to luxury—sporting an alligator, a horse, a sailboat, or another recognizable logo embroidered on our chest.

While a Polo Ralph Lauren shirt or Lacoste sneakers may outstrip their big-box store brethren in quality and craftsmanship, consumers are mostly paying for the brand identity, which is meant to convey status.

In my opinion, the difference in perceived quality is deeply drilled into our heads through a combination of hefty price tags and glossy ads in Vogue and Esquire.

The Search for Brand Identity

At one point in my life, I tried to "beat the system" by only buying unbranded clothing. Eventually, that morphed into hunting for name-brand apparel at thrift stores—a pastime I still enjoy.

While channel-surfing one evening, a documentary about Tommy Hilfiger caught my eye. Someone who worked closely with the brand noted that Hilfiger's aesthetic famously went "from preppy to gangster and back to preppy."

The public can be remarkably finicky, but the right publicity works wonders. A famous rapper wears a logo shirt to the Grammy Awards, and that snowball effect can propel an obscure brand into stardom in a matter of months.

That’s when it hit me: why not try to start my own clothing line and see if I can build some traction?

I didn't expect to become the next Yves Saint Laurent, but it sounded like a fun, creative learning experience.

Finding Inspiration in Unexpected Places

I wanted a logo or slogan that felt preppy, original, and played into an "international man of mystery" vibe. I bounced a few concepts around in my head, and then a past travel memory resurfaced.

A couple of years ago, I was traveling frequently to Lagos, Nigeria for work. While there, I was surprised to learn that the city had its very own yacht club—the Lagos Yacht Club.

I don't know why, but that struck me as extraordinary. I couldn't get over the fact that a chaotic West African metropolis where a large portion of the population lived in poverty was home to "the sport of billionaires."

It felt so distinct and out of place.

I wanted to buy a keepsake from the club—like a classic embroidered polo or t-shirt—but my hotel security guard warned that venturing out to the harbor on my own was too risky and local taxis weren't reliable.

I left Nigeria without a shirt, but the idea stayed with me.

The Birth of Vladivostok Yacht Club

That experience got the ball rolling. Soon, I was brainstorming "Yacht Club" concepts for unexpected or historically intriguing cities around the world.

  • Kuwait City Yacht Club?

  • Monrovia Yacht Club?

  • Muscat Yacht Club?

Finally, I settled on Vladivostok Yacht Club.

Although I have never been to Vladivostok, it has long been high on my travel wishlist. As a Russophile, I knew all about its history as the secure headquarters for the Soviet Navy’s Pacific Fleet—a naval tradition Russia continues today.

Its geography in the Far East is equally fascinating: nestled near the borders of China and North Korea, this remote outpost marks the far edge of Moscow’s long geographic reach.

Before moving forward, I did a quick Google search to make sure the name wasn't taken. To my surprise, Vladivostok actually has a thriving local sailing scene centered around the "Seven Feet Yacht Club."

However, the brand name "Vladivostok Yacht Club" was wide open.

Launching on Zazzle

With zero capital and a clear vision, I turned to Zazzle.com.

Using a print-on-demand platform meant I could design the shirt, order a prototype for myself, and avoid holding any physical inventory.

The design process was straightforward:

  1. I placed the bold text "Vladivostok Yacht Club" across the chest.

  2. Below it, I added the nautical tagline: "Sail with the fleet."

  3. I picked a sky-blue shirt with dark blue lettering in a classic font.

  4. I added a couple of public-domain maritime graphics to tie it together.

Next Steps and Guerrilla Marketing

After about a month on Zazzle, I made my first official sale!

I assume the buyer had some personal or travel connection to the Russian Far East. Little do they know, they just got in on the ground floor of a new apparel venture.

One sale is a encouraging start, but I want to build more momentum. My next phase involves testing out some classic guerrilla marketing tactics:

  • Location Marketing: Living in New York City gives me an advantage. I’m considering waking up early to stand in the crowd outside the Today Show set at Rockefeller Center while wearing the shirt.

  • Online Outreach: I plan to share the design across niche sailing forums, regional travel blogs, and Vladivostok interest groups on Facebook and MySpace.

  • Expanding the Line: Using Zazzle's setup, I've already expanded the Vladivostok Yacht Club brand onto coffee mugs, magnets, and keychains in just a few clicks.

Down the road, if momentum picks up, I might even register a dedicated domain like VladivostokYachtClubClothing.com.

Whether Vladivostok Yacht Club ever gets mentioned in the same breath as Lacoste, Vineyard Vines, or Paul & Shark remains to be seen. But for now, it's a fun experiment in modern branding!

1 comment:

  1. Great article about making passive income on Zazzle. There are people on the Zazzle forums who claim they make six figures per year off of their Zazzle stores. I make a few sales each month, but I enjoy the creative aspect of seeing my ideas on a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete