Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chasing the YouTube Dream: From Pizza Money to Workforce Liberation

It seems like video euphoria is sweeping America ever since YouTube allowed everyone to monetize their content.

For creators who already had a strong presence, it’s been a total windfall. Everyone else is playing catch-up.

Overcoming Initial Hesitation

Before open monetization, I focused my attention on other online pursuits, largely ignoring YouTube because I didn't see its full financial potential.

Of course, savvy marketers had long used the platform for self-promotion and driving traffic to monetized websites. But I never felt comfortable putting myself out there for the entire world to see, so I stayed away.

When YouTube announced that anyone could join the cherished Partner Program, I took another look.

Since I travel quite a bit for work, I reasoned that I could post travel videos or slideshows that might interest the online universe. Even if I didn't hit massive success, at least I would learn a new skill.

The Learning Curve and the First Paycheck

I've been publishing content on YouTube for a little over four months now.

It has been a steep learning curve, but I'm getting much more comfortable with the medium. Last month, I actually earned enough ad revenue to buy a pizza!

It’s small, but it's incredibly encouraging—and it gives me the exact motivation I need to keep plugging along.

Learning from Creator Role Models

We all know about the famous "YouTube millionaires"—those few lucky creators who not only make a full-time living from the platform, but have gotten genuinely rich off it.

My personal favorite is Nalts, who has become a major inspiration for me. What's truly amazing is that he actually kept his day job despite his huge online success. I would have handed in my notice a long time ago!

The Road to 1 Million Views

My ultimate goal is to generate enough income across my various online projects so that I don't need a traditional 9-to-5 anymore.

YouTube is going to play a massive role in my eventual liberation from the traditional workforce. Based on industry estimates, hitting 1 million views per month generates an income comparable to a full-time salary.

Onward and upward! Sitting at around 5,000 views per month, I still have a ways to go.

While you're here, be sure to check out my latest slideshow video featuring the Cupcake Café in New York City!



No comments:

Post a Comment