Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Monetization Issues With Stupeflix and Windows Movie Maker

Hey everyone! I know it's been a while since my last post, but I wanted to address some questions I've been getting about my YouTube videos regarding monetization.  Monetization is a really great benefit from YouTube and encourages regular people like me to share interesting things in my life with the world.

Most of my YouTube videos thus far have been just that - videos.  I've had no problem monetizing videos I've made, they are approved immediately.  I've encountered some issued when making slide shows using photos I've taken.  To make the slide show more interesting, I use royalty free background music.  There are many websites providing royalty free music, some for free and some charge for it.  One website I've found to be particularly helpful is www.musopen.org

Anyway, all of my slide shows using royalty free music have been flagged for review by YouTube.  After the initial flagging, YouTube sent me an email asking to detail the music, where I got it from, and a link to the license.  As many others have pointed out, YouTube has been extremely slow to approve flagged videos.

I'm not blaming YouTube, I understand that they are trying to protect themselves and me as well from lawsuits copyright holders might file.  But still, there has to be a better way.  A few days ago, a friend sent me a link to www.stupeflix.com.  Stupeflix is very similar to Windows Movie Maker, however they have stock music available.  They also have a very cool robotic voice that will speak the text you type.  Although Stupeflix is not owned by Google, they seem to have some sort of a business affiliation.

I thought that by using Stupeflix, I would be able to avert the monetization delay.  I was wrong.  Although I enjoyed using Stupeflix and it's very user friendly, my slide show using the provided background music was still flagged for review.  It's been a day and the video hasn't been approved yet.  This is all the more frustrating because Stupeflix costs money.  Not much, only $5/month or $29 per year for the cheapest plan, but so far it seems like a waste of money when Windows Movie Maker is free.

I'm not giving up on Stupeflix yet, maybe they're just working out some kinks in the system.  I also expect YouTube to get better at approving flagged videos more quickly.  YouTube was undoubtedly inundated with content when they opened up monetization to the masses.  In the meantime, all we can do is wait and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment